business woman

10 Best Ways to Quit Your Job

No doubt you’ve thought about quitting your job before.

And in some cases, you want to do it in the utmost worse way possible just to upset your boss after he’s treated you badly throughout your employment.

Or maybe you’re just a flat-out angel and you landed on this page because you don’t want to work there anymore but you also don’t know how to leave.

Well the good news is that I specialize in this field and help people just like you to quit your job to do what you love.

In this article you’re going to find 10 best ways to quit your job 🙂

Enjoy.

Why Should You Quit Your Job?

There are many reasons one would want to quit their job, but for the most part, and because over 70% of people hate their job, that is the exact reason people quit on a whim and have absolutely zero regrets about it.

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t quit your job and I’m not saying you should, however, sometimes things just happen and if you’re burning bridges, that’s ultimately your own decision and you will face the consequences no matter what path you go down.

People want to quit their job because it’s a toxic/negative environment, they don’t like it anymore, they hate waking up everyday to go to work, etc.

There are thousands of reasons to quit and in this article I go through the most important ones.

A Word of Warning

Do keep in mind that if you don’t quit the professional way, as in, every way BUT professionally, you can risk a good reference later when you want a new job.

That’s actually why employers think they have the “upper hand” against you.

They know they can treat you like trash because they know you won’t quit or act in a bad way, because if you do, they can use it against you when another employer calls them and asks how good of a worker you were.

So be prepared to face something like this later down the line if you decide to try one of these “bad” methods.

1. Quit professionally

business woman

Quitting professionally and the most comfortable way is the old-fashioned way and professionalism will never change.

Quitting professionally doesn’t just mean handing in your 2 weeks notice either.

There are tried and true steps you need to undertake to make it happen.

Here are 9 steps to quit your job and be as professional as possible

2. Quit over the phone

There are certainly pros and cons to quitting over the phone, but sometimes it might be the only option.

You can either quit on the spot over the phone or hand in your 2 weeks notice over the phone.

I would highly recommend you go with the latter, as it is much more professional and you keep a good reference 🙂

Doing this also allows you to not be face to face with the employer and stops them from intimidating you and asking 21 questions.

3. Resign via email

This is a much more safer and more comfortable route for those who are nervous about telling the bad news to their employer face to face.

The good thing about this method is that it is still professional, you get to keep a good referral and you get your message across without the usual nervousness and intimidation tactics that come with quitting face to face.

Of course there will be a face to face conversation about it later on, but at least the hard part is over.

4. Offer to train your replacement

If you’re a valued employee of your company, your employers are going to be upset that you’re leaving no matter how lightly you pass on the news.

However, things can go a little more smoothly and shows that you’re a true professional simply by offering to train your replacement.

This allows you to leave on good terms and stops them from being too upset about you leaving.

It shows them that you are an excellent team player and you’ll still have great references.

5. Tell your boss months before it happens

This method is tried and true and the reason why this is a great option ONLY if you have the time to set it up.

It requires months of planning beforehand as you can tell your employer you’re looking for another job or at least thinking about it.

You do not need to go into any detail, but at least they know you don’t plan on staying forever.

Then when the time comes and you give your 2 weeks notice, the blow isn’t as bad and hopefully they thought ahead and were prepared enough to replace you with someone once you leave.

6. Write a nasty letter

A nasty letter is not professional at all, however, sometimes the boss or employer deserves everything you write in that letter.

If you go this route, make sure you’re not coming back to the workplace ever again and that you know for certain that you will never see that boss in the future.

This is called burning bridges.

In some cases, a nasty letter to a nasty boss is well worth it and that’s why I’m not saying you shouldn’t use this method at all because sometimes you have to!

7. Give them the no-show treatment

Now I have done this before but my story isn’t as bad as you think.

I was in a seasonal job and lay-offs were coming.

I decided to take the lay-off until it was time to go back.

Needless to say, I changed my phone number and didn’t bother letting them know if I was coming back or not until a month or so before night shift started again.

They were expecting me because technically I was still employed there.

I didn’t bother calling them and letting them know.

In fact, they kept asking my ex father-in-law (who also worked there) if I was coming back to work.

I told him about 5 times that I was going back and that same message got to my employers.

I gave them the no-show treatment and until this day still have no regrets about it.

I hated that miserable job and the bosses were just as bad.

8. Burn bridges

This is something I do not recommend for the simple reason that it’s VERY risky.

Burning bridges can backfire big time, and it’s when you least expect it (like 10+ years down the line) but for the sake of formation, quitting your job by burning a bridge is an option.

Why?

It’s not always acceptable but sometimes it certainly is.

It is acceptable when your employer’s have a history of being negative, belittling you, they are downright toxic or don’t even care how badly they treat you.

Burning bridges can mean anything like: walking out on the spot, quitting without notice, sabotaging the company, insulting coworkers and bosses, etc.

The more common one, as social media becomes bigger and bigger, is to bash on a company and expose them online.

That is called burning a bridge because you said something you can’t take back.

Below are all examples of how to quit your job while burning bridges.

Yes, they are funny and you can clearly tell by the way they quit that it was a toxic work environment and they all got treated badly.

And the list just goes on and on.

There are certainly more and more people not giving a f*ck in this day and age.

Personally, I think people are just having enough and can see that they are never going to get out if they don’t do anything now, thus causing them too quit suddenly and in the most drastic way possible.

9. Just walk out

One way to quit your job is to just get up and walk out.

Hold your head high, be firm with your decision and absolutely own it.

Tell everyone that you quit, be loud and proud and just walk out.

Keep in mind that you will not be going back so you need to have all your belongings with you.

Coworkers will absolutely love you for doing this, because why not?

It’s extremely funny and you’re doing something only they wish they could do.

They will cheer and clap as you make your final walk out the door.

10. Quit without notice

Quitting without notice is also not recommended because you’re only asking for trouble and an upset boss and coworkers.

Not so much coworkers, unless you’re very close to them, but you’re hands down going to upset your employers.

At that same job that I burnt a bridge with, another person actually quit without notice before I did it.

We were on night shift and he was telling me he got offered a job and that he was going to quit as soon as we finished for the night.

At the end of the night I actually did see him go up to the supervisor and tell him he wasn’t coming back.

This is definitely not the most professional way of quitting but at least he let them know and didn’t give them the no-show treatment (like I did).

Conclusion

Quitting your job is never easy and more often than not you have to have an awkward conversation with your boss no matter how much you try to avoid it.

There are some methods in this article that will stop you from having an awkward conversation BUT you’ll probably burn bridges which is not always going to work in your favor.

Well I hope you enjoyed this article, and as always, leave all your thoughts and comments below!

22 thoughts on “10 Best Ways to Quit Your Job”

1. This reminds me of my last work more than 10 years ago. It happened that I have established a good relationship with my employer, we became close friends to the point that he promoted to a managerial position overseeing a warehouse containing products worth hundred millions. It was really a close relationship that we even became drinking buddies in popular night clubs of Manila. The time came that I have to say good bye to mind my own business, I did the same thing that you mentioned in No.4 which is offering to train my replacement. The end result is, we’re still friends up to now.

• Great choice buddy. That is a great option.

A lot of the time people don’t want to leave after the employer does a lot for them and it feels like you’re betraying them by leaving.

However, you live life the way you want and to not please other people. Training a replacement is one of the best options in this situation and as you found out firsthand, it works great because you can still be good buddies 🙂

2. I quit my last job through email and I had nothing lined up… It’s not that it was so bad from the beginning but lately there had been some very bad changes that I couldn’t set my foot there ever again…

One month has passed since then and I have never regretted it whatsoever. I am now looking for a part-time job and at the same time, I am working on my online business…

Hopefully, everything will turn out okay!

• That sounds amazing Harry. At the end of the day, if your’re happy with your results, you can’t go wrong.

If you don’t like your job or how your life is going, make changes to suit.

That’s what you have done and I only encourage you to continue working on your dreams my friend.

Good luck!

3. Hello

Nice to read an article from you again. You always give the best solutions. If I would like to quit my job I would prefer to send an e-mail in which I would describe the reasons for my dissatisfaction, so as not to have to talk face to face. This will happen of course. I would also try to find my replacer. This would create a good impression. I find professional even to train him for some days.

Anyway the reasons you give make a professional profile and I’m sure they would work.

Thanks for another useful and very well-written topic.

Thodoris

• You’re welcome my friend 🙂 It can be difficult to leave a job when you have a close relationship with the boss, however, if you’re professional in all aspects the process should be seamless.

Never act on your emotions as that is only going to stress yourself out, your employer and most probably give you a bad reference when you try to find a new job.

4. I see your view on why employees don’t just quit their jobs or act in a bad way if they don’t like their jobs. But here where I am, employers or actually managers are no longer allowed to give a bad reference once a former employee applies for another job.

There is a reason an employee quits their job, and it always involves bad pay or a rude boss. But now they made it easier for people to quit their jobs and get a better one. Bosses can make your life miserable and not worth working for yourself at times. They take advantage when you have a family to care for, then they give you so much work to do that is unnecessary.

But overall thank you for this review and all the best.

• That’s really interesting that they are not allowed to do that.

May I ask where you are that employers aren’t allowed to give bad references?

And I would have to agree, a lot of the time it is due to bad boss or bad pay, and other times people want a change.

Like me, I wanted to work from home so I didn’t have to answer to anyone or do what others told me to do. Now I’m living my dream of making money online and setting my own hours. It’s the best job in the world!

5. Hey Brandon,

this is a good article, with several good tips! I remember doing the “over the phone”-quit one time ages ago, and that worked out well for me. I hated my boss, and I knew I wouldn’t really need his reference down the road, so I just quit! Couldn’t take that guy anymore… If I were ever in a similar situation today, though, I would follow your recommendation, so that you keep your good reference. Good tip!

I also really like your tip #4. Although it might seem obvious when you read it, I think it’s the kind of thing many people would think about on the spot, so it’s a good reminder you provide. Staying professional really pays dividends in the future!

#6 really hit the nail on it’s head as well for me! It’s not professional at all, like you say, but it feels so good to do this! I didn’t do this via a letter, but I said all the same things on the phone, mentioned in a prior paragraph. I’m really a calm guy, but I truly hated that boss, so I didn’t feel bad at all.

Again, I think you’re spot on with what you say in #8. More and more people, in my opinion, hate their job. Burning bridges is a very tempting way out if it then, and I believe you are very correct to warn people here. This can be very risky for future reference (even 10 years down the line, like you say), and you have to REALLY think it through before employing this.

This was just an excellent read, and one I think many people will find helpful! It’s full of both recommendations and the opposite. You make sure to tell people to think things through, and I believe that is very important. You might be very emotional when deciding or contemplating to quit your job, and for these situations you provide many good tips!

Thanks for the read,

Joachim

• You’re very welcome Joachim.

It’s a common mistake to act on your emotions and do something you wouldn’t normally do, which is to shout at your boss and say nasty things (even if they are true, some things are better left unsaid), treat your coworkers bad or even quit on the spot.

These things get you a bad reference and you only sabotage your own future.

Glad to help.

6. Hi Brandon

I think the best way is to give notice some months before. It is a very nice way to depart in peace and give the company the opportunity to look for a qualified replacement.

Because, unless you are leaving to start your own venture, you may need your boss’s recommendation to get a new job. So, if you left on bad terms with him/her, I am not sure you will get a good letter to help you get another job.

Thanks for sharing

• Exactly, I’ve said that many times before. If you let your boss know you’re looking for a new job but not anytime soon, they will expect to see your 2 weeks notice in the upcoming weeks or months.

Plus you have ample time to train your replacement.It’s a win-win for both parties.

7. Hi, Brandon.
    Thanks for the article on the best ways to quit the job – I liked your ideas.
    Each Idea is valid and holds a positive action to be incorporated. I visualized each situation separately and concluded that your advice is awesome. We need to be professional and this quality must be shown at the time we decide to quit the job.
    Warm Regards,
    Gaurav Gaur

8. I totally agree that you gotta have some type of steady income to function each day. Without money, you can’t survive. But there’s always something better than what you have. We all hate working those 9 to 5 jobs. I went through that myself. I would think, “Is there something better than this?”

Searching out some type of online business is what I wanted. (I hated punching a clock!) Working from home sounded great! But with all the scam programs out here, how can one be sure which program to choose? I figure just by keeping your options opened and staying within your budget, mostly any program can work.

• I was exactly the same! I wanted to stay home each day and be my own boss. I love my independence so making money online was my dream job.

And nope, not all programs work, most are actually scams.

The first scam I used was Google Sniper. Back in 2014 I worked on my Gsniper website for at least 5 months before coming to the conclusion that it was just a massive scam.

I never gave up, and in 2016 I found Wealthy Affiliate. It’s the real deal and I couldn’t be anymore grateful for this opportunity.

Hope this answers your question rjkennedy.

9. Due to the uncertainties associated with life, I would prefer anyone not to go through the bridge burning ideas because circumstances might warrant one to get back to the work or meeting up with the boss, though some bosses are just crazy though. However, I would opt for the options of giving adequate notice as a professional or offering to train the new employee before leaving. That’s great and would create a win-win scenario for both parties. Thanks

• Absolutely agree with you. Burning bridges seems like the best option but in the long run it might come back and bite you in the ass.

10. Very interesting article. I’ve actually done the ‘Quit without notice” method before, though It later affected me… but then, I can’t really blame me for using that method, because the job i had prior to it. I followed the professional way; I’ve personally given a 2 weeks notice properly and professionally… but, I was surprised with what happened after. I was forcibly WALKED OUT of the building in the midday as if I had stolen something from the company or something. It was really humiliating and I felt awful.

There is so much to learn from this article.

Regards!

• That sucks! I’m sorry to hear that you got mistreated this way and that should not have been done especially since you were as professional as possible.

Some bosses are like that, just don’t take it personally and move on. Good luck.

Besides finding your post fun to read, I (unfortunately) can relate to some negative situations you speak about here.

In my opinion, I believe it’s always better not to burn bridges.  Even if you don’t ever want to come back, you never know who your ex-boss is connected to.  This is a small world, after all, especially if you stay in the same industry, and once you have created a reputation, you cannot take it back.  I more believe in karma, so to speak.  Bad bosses and managers make their own bed. They will organically start losing good employees. No need to really “teach them a lesson”.  It’s just my philosophy.

Does it make a difference to you, the way you quit your job?  I would think the satisfaction itself to be moving on to a new situation you desire is a good enough feeling.

Vincent

• You bring up some valid points my friend. At the end of the day it is a small world, and the industry is much smaller than people realize. I quit my job by burning bridges as I wanted to work from home and I was only half in because of my job. I wanted to go all in so I could create my online business as big as I wanted it to be, and that’s what I did.

I am not worried about burning that bridge because it was a big factory anyway and I work for myself now 🙂

Thanks for the comment.