9-5-job

Paying Bills After Losing A Job (SERIES 1): The Plan of Attack

What Is This Series All About?

With this series I hope to help a minimum of 1000 people who’ve lost their job and want a way to bounce right back.

At the end of this series you will have a solid plan, everything automated and a very bright future ahead of you, because you have come to the right place and I have every intention of helping you succeed.

I’m going to show how to do it in a step-by-step manner because that is the easiest way to implement the actions.

Enjoy.

1. Create a Plan of Attack

You can’t expect everything to fall into place by itself because that doesn’t happen without a plan.

You need to know how you’re going to tackle this problem head on and come out on top.

I’m not going to tell you to budget because frankly, I don’t like the word and I bet you don’t either.

But I will tell you to copy my spreadsheet template and put in your own figures.

monthly-payments-spreadsheet

Download the template here

It may look overwhelming at first but it is actually really simple.

Row 1 (What You’re Paying For) = Write down everything you pay for on a monthly basis. Include everything even if it’s only $40 per month, because all these small bills add up to bigger ones

Row 2 (Monthly Payments) = Here you will write the amount of money you’re spending on a monthly basis. The best way to find out is by getting a bank statement (look online if you can, it will be quicker and you can get started immediately).

Red Color = These are payments that come out automatically. However, more on that in series 2 because that is where the magic happens.

Blue Color = There are some things that computers cannot do, so putting gas in your car would have to be done manually and so would purchasing your  food each month.

Total = The total amount of all your monthly payments added up.

So now it is time to jump on your bank’s website and find out where your money is going!

2. Cut Costs as Much as Possible & Wherever You Can

You’re going to be low on savings, income and most especially patience.

The trick is to cut down on your bills as much as possible because they take up the majority of your monthly payments.

Phone up whoever you’re paying money to each month and get them to cut down your payments – get them as low as you can!

For example: If you’re car payments are $500 per month, get them down to $400 and increase the loan term from 3 years to 4 years.

The long-term is not the issue here, so you will be fine to do this. The problem lies in the short-term because you are out of work with little money and income.

3. Stop Bills You Don’t Need

A lot of us are stacked up to our eyeballs with monthly payments we don’t even know about and things we don’t even use!

Stop that gym membership if you’re not using it or even get your landline cut and stick with your mobile.

You might not even be using all your data on your mobile so that can be chewing up more of your monthly income as well.

So check your bank statement and see where your money is going.

I bet your bottom dollar that you are paying things you forgot about, you don’t use anymore, or that you don’t even need.

What You Need To Realize

I am NOT trying to get you to budget because I know most people hate that.

What I am doing is setting you up for success, because in the very next series we will be automating the entire process so you don’t have to stress over what’s being paid and what isn’t.

You will actually know where your money is going and you’ll be able to relax because at the end of the day, your bills are being paid on time and every time.

Go to series 2 now >>>

Please click LIKE below. I want to help at least 1000 people with this series!

46 thoughts on “Paying Bills After Losing A Job (SERIES 1): The Plan of Attack”

1. I’m definitely all for people knowing where they are financially — job loss or not. In the scenario presented, its a must that people can’t afford not to know, and I think your template will definitely help with the organization that will need to be undergone.

Good job!

2. This was a very interesting read. I know that a lot of people struggle when they get laid off, and these are definitely some awesome ways to ensure that they are able to stay on their feet until they find another income solution. Great post, and I am sure it will help many!

• Having a plan and taking action is key if you want to come out on top. With my plan I can almost promise that it will work, but of course you have to follow it properly and be prepared to sacrifice a few things, the things you don’t care about.

3. Hey Brandon,

This article really comes on time because I just lost my job back in September. Now, this was mainly due to my own engineering of the events leading up to me being terminated, and it was so I can collect employment insurance (as it’s called here in Canada).

Nonetheless, the stress of not having as much income as before is quite real, and this was a very helpful article. I liked the bit about trying to extend your car loan, but I definitely wouldn’t be doing that myself. I want it to be paid off as soon as possible.

Cheers Brandon!

• The car loan trick will work for some people. It just depends on how far are you willing to go to get all of your monthly payments down.

Of course when you get on top of things you can definitely put them back up again.

I’m not saying pay the bare minimum until everything is paid. I’m saying pay the bare minimum until you can sort out another job or second source of income.

Know what I mean? Good 🙂

4. Thanks for this. It really helps my case. Every time I get a paycheck, it seems like it just goes out the window. It’s like I am not even making money, just spending and I can’t figure out where it’s going. That spreadsheet is a great idea that I am going to use and you know what, I am going to cut down on unnecessary things. I have a gym membership and I literally go like twice a month and I pay so much for it. I need to be better with my money.

• Trust me, I’ve been there. Everyone that lands on this site has been there. Most are still there right now.

Great choice on axing the gym membership. If you’re not using it, lose it.

5. I am thinking about cutting some expenses recently. But didn’t know where to start. I am glad I came to your site. I actually am paying for things that I don’t even need any more. I will have to cancel some things. Thank you so much for the information. I will have extra money in my pocket now.

• Glad to help! I’m ALWAYS checking what’s coming out of my bank account.

You just don’t want to be paying for unnecessary things. People don’t worry about it and wonder where all their money is going.

Remember, if you can’t wipe them out completely, get them down as much as possible. It will help tremendously in the short-term (which is where the whole problem lies)

6. Hello Brandon, Informative site I have always wanted to save more money but never really knew where to start, after I did as you suggested I did realize there were some bills I was paying for that I no longer need, such as subscriptions to sites and programs such as amazon lol. Thanks to your suggestion on taking a look at my bank statements I was able to take really look back at all the things I was paying for unknowingly. Thanks again and have a great day.

• Good job for getting on top of your payments my friend. A lot of us are actually paying for memberships we totally forgot about and recurring payments we signed up for years ago.

7. That is nice concept because some people are not aware of their expenses. You can really help a lot of people with your Series. I am curious what you have to offer on Series 2 and after that.

• I have just posted series 2.

It is all about automating your monthly bills so you can focus on getting another job asap or working online for money.

But we don’t sprint before we crawl here at JobQuittersUnite. If you want to make it work you have to follow the process and take action. Nobody can do it for you.

8. These are very good tips! It is true that most of us tend to have a lot of unnecessary costs in our lives, and by taking a step back and assessing what we truly need can be very valuable in saving money.

I am fortunate enough to not have to go through something like this, but these are excellent ways to save money, and I appreciate you sharing your insight with me! Keep up the brilliant posts!

• Wow, thanks for the kind words brother. I’m only passing on my knowledge so I’m glad I can help 🙂

Getting on top of my finances was the best thing I ever did!

Cheers.

9. Having a good plan is what will help you on your way to
    reach your goal. I am happy that you are showing others
    the steps to take to reach their financial goal. Good post.

10. This is the perfect way to assess how much I need to survive before I make my dive in to being my own boss.
    I’m still employed but hoping to take the dive soon.
    Thanks for the template.

11. Wow this is an eye opener for me Brandon. I just realised I was paying for my health insurance extras. Things that I am not using. I now need to contact my provider and see if they can give an offer of a smaller cover without charging me the unneeded extra. Next one is my monthly phone bill. I am probably paying more than I using.

Thank you very much.

12. Also I have been sending money as an investment contribution to a project that has already been completed. Oh my, what a wake up call.

I have been able to save a good amount of money by renting a room instead of a flat here in London. It’s not the ideal situation, no one wants to share the house with 6 other people, BUT the good thing about it is that I can save on all the bills, including internet. So, I pay only £310 per month. Then, I also decided to not top up my mobile anymore, as I have access to the internet on my job and I can call anyone via Wattsap. I think it’s possible to save money if we are very determined to do so. Thanks for your template, I will definitely use it to keep everything accountable and cut even more unnecessary costs.

Cheers

• If you are on the younger end of the scale you can certainly live cheaper than others.

People with families cannot do something like this but you are doing the right thing, so continue doing it while you can.

Just remember to set yourself up for life, meaning save your money and invest in yourself. Create multiple sources of income and you’ll live like most people can only dream of.

I wish you all the best brother.

14. Brandon, excellent and sound advice! Yes, I agree, people don’t like to budget their money. However a little bit of organisation does not harm us, especially if we have lost our job. Not only this, but if we get used to keep track of our expenses, whether they go out of our bank account by direct debit or in the form of cash withdrawal or manual cards payments, this is an exercise that we will all benefit from, even if we have a revenue. The most painful thing that can happen to us, financially speaking, is not to realise that we have been paying a hefty figure every month for the last few years without benefiting from that service (whether there be an insurance policy or the gym membership you mention) any longer. Such a shame, so much money wasted for nothing!
    So, really, thank you ever so much. For one, I am definitely going to download your spreadsheet!

• Whatever you wanna call it, knowing what the heck your money is doing is key.

Before I started doing ANY of this I was getting behind on bills all the time and thought I needed more income. That wasn’t the case.

What I needed to do was automate my bills and put some money aside each month…and of course, spend more on things I enjoyed and less on things I didn’t.

All of a sudden I noticed that I DID have enough money for all my bills, money to save and enough for hobbies. Mindlessly spending needed to stop.

Since then I haven’t looked back.

15. No, you should be saying make a budget. I must say before I was just going through the motions of paying things and not paying attention to just what I had to work with. When I did a budget it first told me what I had to work with. Before I was just spending as I got it. Wrong answer. You always end up over-spending. Since I have made a budget I find that I have not had any financial stress because of it.

• Each to their own. I’ve tried budgeting and so have thousands of others. If it helped you that is good, but it isn’t for everyone.

Concentrating on getting to the top of the main things is better suited for most people and means they will actually take action with it.

People don’t take action because it seems too hard. Not having to budget allows them to automate their money and still have some left over to freely spend.

That’s what has worked for me and the reason why I highly recommend it for others.

16. A very common sense approach to a rough situation. I like it. I call it living within your means. When you suffer a loss of income, even if it’s just part of the total income, you have to eliminate a lot of “luxuries”. It may be painful but it is necessary. I’ve been there before, hopefully never again. Thanks, Don

• Well, in this instance you don’t HAVE to cut out luxuries.

Actually, I prefer you spend more on the luxuries and less on things you don’t like. When you stop spending on things you don’t care about, you can spend that money the way you truly enjoy.

However, I get more into that in series 3.

• I don’t disagree with you at all. I guess it’s more how you were raised. For example, I don’t really need a smart phone since I have a land line and a desktop but that would be one of the last things to go. My generation conciders them a luxury. Today they’re a necessity. How you look at something depends entirely on how, when and where you were raised. That’s why I put luxury in quotes. There are always things you are willing to do without to keep the things you want. Getting rid of what you don’t use makes good sense whether your employed or not. But unemployment does give you the motivation to figure that out.

Don

17. Hi Brandon, I love your site. It’s vital for people to figure out how to manage those finances when things don’t go to plan. I enjoyed reading your style as well as your practical demo of the expenses. So necessary, we all have bills that can’t be avoided so it’s about being realistic and tackle them instead of avoiding paying them. I also loved your idea of reducing the car loan payment, only necessary when you’re in the situation when you’ve lost your job. For home loans, one could also ask for a moratorium where the bank stops payments for a period of up to 3 months on your home loan if you’ve got one, which can also help in the short term.

• Definitely. That is a great idea Kathleen.

If you can do anything to help in the short term, do it! That is where the main issue lies.

18. This is great! Cutting costs and making your money go as far as possible is essential when unemployed, and often when employed also! I like your advice to cut unnecessary bills. I have a few things that I could definitely do without.

I’m excited to get things automated, it’s a pain having to deal with managing my bills every month.

• Absolutely it is! Procrastination is a real thing and it leads to people not doing things even when they know the consequences.

Automating your bills eliminates this problem and makes your life easier (I’m all for that 😛 ).

19. this is sooo cool!

when I first got married I had NO IDEA how to budget or allocate funds. I struggled BAD.

I desperately searched for a spreadsheet but was disappointed. I think yours is interesting.

I’ve been using an app to track finances, I think you’d love it. It’s called MoneyWiz. Let me know what you think.

I’m off to series two…

20. Thanks for sharing this series. My biggest issue is sticking to my budget. I budget all the time, but I never stick with it for too long. This is mainly because I have bills that I don’t really need. For instance, although I work out at home, I still have a gym membership, why?? I have unlimited data on my phone and my kid’s phones, I don’t need it. I will take your advice and start with the gym membership.

21. Great post Brandon , i’m all for saving where i can and this just gives me a different approach whereby i really could reap the benefits . Thanks for sharing this useful information my guy