budgeting

Paying Bills After Losing A Job (SERIES 3): Get Your Money Right

So what the heck do we do now that we’re sending our money to the right places?

In the last 2 series (especially in the comments) you’ve probably heard me say: “spend more money on what you enjoy and less on things you don’t”.

When done right, becomes extremely powerful because you don’t have to miss out on what you really love doing.

Instead you just cut out the mindless spending and learn to “prioritize”.

More on that in this article.

Recap (What You’ve Done Thus Far)

1. Downloaded the spreadsheet

2. Put in your own figures (monthly bills, how much you pay, etc)

3. Determined what can be done automatically and manually by using the red and blue color codes

4. Set up automatic payments so you can start focusing on your future

5. (up next). Using your money correctly. Hint: not budgeting

When you look at it from this perspective you can see that you have done a lot more than you think.

Things are going to get exciting because now the magic really does start to happen.

Spend less on things you don’t like and more on the things you DO like

women in pool

We tend to spend recklessly on whatever we want, when we want.

This is not the way to go about it but rather the absolute worst way!

This is the reason why we are broke 2 days after we get our paycheck!

Actually, I highly recommend you spend your money on things you actually do enjoy and less on the things you don’t.

For example:

If you go to a convenient store and see a chocolate bar, do you really like it or just “kinda” like it. If you “kinda” like it then don’t get it.

You will have more money on things that matter to you the most, such as a vacation, a video game, your make-up, etc.

Determine your “likes”

Grab a piece of paper right now. Yes, I mean it. Grab one right now or at least open up notepad for crying out loud 😛

Write down what you absolutely love spending your money on. If vacations matter to you the most, write that down. If it’s shoes or movies, jot those down.

As long as the bills are being paid, the rest of the money is yours to spend freely! Just because you’re out of a job that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy yourself every now and then.

Pro Tip: If your budget allows for it, save a mere $100-200 a month. This will be “backup” for when you need it the most.

If you’re utilizing your money correctly, you will be fine.

Spend less on things you don’t like. Don’t purchase a chocolate bar JUST because it’s in front of your eyes, or don’t buy your lunch everyday if you can make it everyday.

Of course this can be totally reversed if food was in your “likes” list.

The point I’m trying to make is; stop spending mindlessly on things you don’t even really enjoy.

Think about what you can be spending your money on otherwise. Think about your list! 😀

Prioritize is the keyword here.

Do not budget

budgeting

As counterintuitive as it may seem, this is the last thing you want to do.

Budgeting means you are tied down to a set plan, and these plans come crashing down because they are “unsustainable”.

Budgeting leads to giving up in the first 2 weeks (if that) because you have to CONSTANTLY check if you’re spending on the right things.

It becomes tiring, boring and downright annoying. It leads you to not following it anymore and going back to your old habits. You don’t want to do that.

This is why I recommend spending less on the things that you don’t like and more on the things you love.

You’ll stay motivated to continue the good fight and you’ll have absolutely no plans of giving up. It won’t even cross your mind!

All at the same time you will be paying all your bills while living freely without being tied down to anything.

Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize. Do that and you can’t go wrong.

Conclusion

Well that concludes series 3.

Short and sweet, just the way I like it.

Taking on this new “prioritizing” mindset might seem like a really silly idea now, but when you implement it in your life you will realize how much money you’ve actually been wasting.

You’ll be nearing the end of the month and wonder how you’ve still got money left, when every other month you’ve run out in the first week!

I’m not even exaggerating.

Try it, you’ll be surprised.

Series 4 coming soon…

Please click LIKE below. I need to know if you’re enjoying this series! 🙂

22 thoughts on “Paying Bills After Losing A Job (SERIES 3): Get Your Money Right”

This is article series is engaging. There is even a free spreadsheet available here. I am just looking for the “series 1” post in the same page. The “get your money right” series reminds readers on their lifestyles and mindset. I guess it is time to review mine. Thanks for this post – very helpful.

• No worries brother. Just want to help those that are willing to take some advice and implement it in their lives. Magic happens when you take action, not procrastinate.

2. Yes, I think it is very true that we need to prioritize in life and invest our money where it matters most to us. There are many things that tempt us to spend money unwisely, so like you say it’s good to have a strategy for spending wisely!

3. Hi Brandon you really saved me some pounds today. I was about to go for my usual weekend shopping when i bumped into your article. I wrote down things i needed to buy before going out. Believe me I saved significant pounds compared to my previous shopping. I guess the fact you have money makes you feel in control of your want, but that wrong. Thanks for the article.

• That’s a good idea. If you’re mindlessly purchasing foods you don’t need–just getting them because they are there–then you are wasting a lot of money per week, more than you actually think.

Great job on taking care of your finances. I wish you all the best.

4. Brandon, that was great! You kept some humor in it which is awesome and that kept me engaged and wanted me to keep reading and I love how you tell us not to be on a budget. That is music to my ears, but seriously a hard habit to break. Great job on teaching to prioritize because that is the key to success! Kris.

• Thanks, Kristen.

Noticing what you’ve been doing wrong in your life is the first step to fixing the problem(s).

I know you’ll be able to fix these issues and come out on top – as long as you take action, set everything up and prioritize how you’re spending your money.

Good luck!

5. Hello Brandon!
    These paying the bills after losing a job series are so HELPFUL! I truly think prioritizing is the key because when people are not on a tight budget buy so many useless stuff just because they think they need them. This way you spend less money buying only important stuff, have less clutter around you and probably the chance to save some too!

• That is correct. I was so surprised at how much money I had left over when I decided to stop buying JUNK. It was an eye-opener, to say the least.

6. Very interesting information Brandon. Thanks for sharing your experience and success with spending less on things you don’t like and more on the things you DO like. I read your suggestions with great interest as I relate to the situation you are describing. Yes, some 20 years ago, my wife and myself were not only without jobs, but more than broke as we were deep in debts in the tune of over 25,000 pounds owed to credit cards and loans. We had to devise a plan similar to yours so that we could make use of the little Internet income we had then and split it so that we could live normally while slowly repaying our debts.

So yes, it works: we are now totally debt free (and even have savings) and live as we wish without restrictions, but without wasting our money on things that we don’t really need, or even want.

I have shared your article on my social networks as I feel that many people should read it and follow your guidelines.

Best wishes,

John ツ

• First and foremost, thanks for sharing this post and great job on getting your finances under control.

So many people think their bills will go away so long as you avoid them as much as possible. I WAS one of THOSE guys.

I tried to run, I tried to hide. I couldn’t run away so after many years I realized I had to pay them anyway!

They weren’t going to pay themselves and nobody else was going to pay them for me. I sat down and wrote a plan. What you’re reading in this series is what helped me get everything under control.

Thanks for reading!

7. Great info on how to “not budget”. Super helpful and really makes you think about the unnecessary crap I spend my money on.
    – brook 🙂

• Budget plans are unsustainable. Even though they DO work, it’s very difficult to follow and count every cent you’re spending.

There’s better alternatives to paying your bills off, and this series is one of the top ones!

The information you provide on this site is very useful.
    I like your alternative approach to budgeting.
    Establishing your goals and then spending money only on the things that will get you closer to your goals is certainly more effective in the long run.
    I will definitely stop by again to read more about what you discovered.

Thanks for sharing your suggestions.
    Daniela

• I’m not even telling you to spend on things that will “help with your goals”. In fact, I say spend more on what you enjoy and less on what you don’t.

The key takeaway here is that you should stop spending recklessly on things you don’t even like, only then you will have more money for things you really love. Do it and you’ll have more money to enjoy yourself with.

9. Hi Brandon, this is as an awesome article and very informative. I like how you are helping people know that they can still live a very happy life by spending on things that matter the most while spending on things that don’t. I had to learn the hard way, even though I never spent on too many things that didn’t matter. I would hold on to my money for that so called rainy day. Problem with that was, what use is the money by just holding on to it and not being able to experience the good times every now and then. This can cause a lot of frustration and feeling as if you are getting no where.

I am now learning to splurge a little on things that I really want in life. Of course, prioritizing first, making sure all bills are paid and then rewarding myself in the end. Let me tell ya’ it has helped me out a lot by doing this. It makes the process of life go a little smoother. I really enjoyed reading this post and thank you for all your hard work. Have an awesome day.

• The trick is to find a balance between rewarding yourself in the “now” and saving money for a rainy day.

If you can do that you WILL make life go a lot smoother rather than a massive bumpy ride. Thanks for the comment – all the best!

10. Hmmm, what an interesting idea. I have budgeted for our family for years and never even thought of doing things like how you suggest. Definitely something I will be looking into more now. Thank you for the great information 🙂

• If you’ve budgeted for years and had success, then I congratulate you. Budgeting is not easy but if you can make it work for you and your family, great job!

Of course the alternative approach (that I’ve outlined here) can also be attempted and trialed. Finding something that works for you is key to gaining success.